Pages

Monday, June 18, 2007

Don't make up your mind

I can be a real dork sometimes, especially when I've pre-decided to shut down. I guess it comes from my teaching days, but everytime a mandatory workshop is scheduled my amygdala does an automatic off. The little beasties in my brain work overtime telling me that I'd be better off scraping bark off the tangan-tangan than sitting in a room listening to one more expert tell me how to be a dynamic leader. The Principal's Institute that started Saturday and will run until Thursday has been, to my surprise, a blessing to my spirit and mind. For the first time in a long time, we are talking about relevant issues, things Dr. Pascarelli calls the "undiscussables". We are not immersed in a bubble of group-denial and edification. We didn't talk about the importance of organizational structure, we got down to the nitty-gritty and admitted where we have built road blocks for ourselves, our staff and our system. I'm not a warm and fuzzy girl mind you, but today was personally and professionally validating. I promise to not make up my mind until I've opened it up to the possibilities first. Kudos to the folks who put this together.
Dr. Pascarelli discussing the principalship as a movie entitled "Every Child, Every Time"
The Fishbowl: how have we failed some of our staff?

No comments: