Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What about me

I'm resurrecting this from my FB because I didn't want it to get lost in cyberspace.  It was an original tag post that took a month to complete on FB but will take only a couple of posts here.

Introduction (as it was):  So I"m supposed to write 25 random things about me, but if you know me, you know I do not like to be rushed. So I am giving you 1 random thing a day for 25 days, like it or not. This gives me something to do during mental lulls and while sitting through meetings. This gives you time to digest it all and decide if you want to unfriend me on FB or buy me a really awesome birthday present on the 25th cause you love me so much. I must do the rudimentary thing and explain the rules of this crazy game though, so hold on to your spectacles.

Rules: Once you’ve been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it’s because I either want to know more about you or I like seeing you suffer.

I was originally tagged by Hee Jae Lee and then like the angels at the manger, a host of other FB-BFFs and for some odd reason I feel obliged.

1. My real name is Yvonne, I do not have a second name and NO ONE ever calls me Yvonne. EVER. My nickname is really spelled Bonnie. I was named after some pony-tailed girl in a Girl Scout promotional. I changed the spelling to Boni in high school because I wanted to reinvent myself but I didn't have the guts to go with Sloan or Mallory or the $700 to make it legal.
2. I don't like my food to fall on the table when I eat. I don't even like condensation on my glass to drip on the table when I drink and I almost never touch my food. If I do touch my food, I use a napkin and wipe the condensation off my glass to clean my fingers.
3.  I'm infinitely wittier, friendlier and more clever online than I am in person. In person, I lose all mental function associated with coolness and resort to phrases like, "hey" and "oh hi...ha ha" while diverting my eyes downward and fidgeting with my blouse. People think I'm matapang (snotty, snooty, snobby or stuck up), when in reality I am just thinking to myself, "Isn't that Mike? No, that's not Mike. It looks like Mike. I should say hi. No, what if it's not?" By that time, Mike's driving out the parking lot thinking, "Damn Boni is a b!+ch!"
4. I have a few friends, fewer good friends and only a handful of close friends. I have two expectations of my friends: be true to yourself and honest with me. I can smell a liar and a fake faster than they can think up a scam. I prefer to be confronted about my shortcomings and if I hurt you I will seek you out and attempt to fix it. I believe a bruised ego is easier to mend than broken trust. Oh, and I don't let people rent space in my head.
5. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE to get my toes wet! I've learned to walk on the heels of my shoes (opposite of tippy-toeing) to avoid getting water on my toes. If I do, I can't concentrate until I wipe off my shoes and each toe. I shave my legs maybe once every six months and I've worn a toe ring on my left foot for over 14 years. I've never taken it off, not even in pregnancy or delivery.
6. I love to read, but my passion is writing. I've written a ton of poetry and published a few under pen names for which I will probably never be recognized or ever disclose. I wrote one play in high school that was produced. Galvin Deleon Guerrero played the leading role, Rose Cuizon Villazor was in it too (FB folk). Ed gave me the honor of writing for MP, a magazine I love. I have many children's books just waiting to be published, but I can never find the nerve to do it. My dream fulfilled would be to write a novel.
7. I cannot stand plastic bags. Soon as I get whatever is inside of them out, they get twisted, tied and put away where I cannot see them until I have to use them again. I don't like how they feel, look, or the noise they make (that crinkling noise). Plastic bags look like wads of tissue to me, messy and irritating. I am allergic to cardboard. I get big fat welts and they make me itchy.
8. I was once obsessed with Menudo the band, not the food. I can still sing some of their English and Spanish songs by heart. I called Puerto Rico to talk to Ricky and got grounded for a month when my father got the $80 phone bill, and I didn't even get past the secretary. Yes, I did go to their concert in Guam. Si tu no estas, con tu ami, no puede bailar, no soy feliz...
9.  I am the oldest child of the eldest child in a blended family of ten. I have 10 siblings and I'm the oldest of 35 cousins. I was raised by a single father, my grandparents and my dad's brothers and sisters. I got into tons of trouble when I was little, broke my leg, arm, foot and cracked my skull. The worst thing I ever did was burn my Uncle Brian's room down with a match. The second the flames started lapping the curtains I ran into my grandparent's garage, got down on my knees, folded my hands and prayed the Hail Mary out loud until my father and the firefighters came home. I am truly sorry for having done that.
10. Things I cannot do: swim, sing, or whistle with my fingers in my mouth. What I can do: twist my left arm almost 360 degrees, cross one eye at a time, understand a fair deal of Tagalog and Kapangpangan (sorry bout the spelling) and spell out loud pretty quickly because I see the letters in my head (sort of like having a photographic memory?). The weirdest thing I can do is pause and rewind my dreams.

1 comment:

bigsoxfan said...

Wow, after several years of enjoying your posts, this is the one. I'll read this post a dozen times and try with each reading, to gain the my own inner view, as you expressed here.
And by the way, you weren't tongue tied or awkward at all when we met at the Bloggers meet up years ago. Strident, loud, demanding, none of those either. Just a simple request for a photo and your personality was one of interested friendship. Nice job to pull that one out of one meeting. Friendly, interested in others and an awesome educator.
That is my take anyway. Your last line is an ability I enjoy at times, but the ability to recreate the moment in time when a memory is a special picture, which can live as the best megapixel memory.