Pages

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Twilight in Papago

Last night Hope wanted to start book 3 in a 4 book series she's reading. Since the power went off at the usual perfect time, she had to take her book outside to the picnic table to try and get some reading in before twilight (no pun intended). Like me, she's been reading by candlelight most of these nights. Wayne and I had another candlelit dinner. If it weren't for the mere fact that he finds positive in almost every situation I'd be a grumpy wreck. Still, I was a bit of a grump. TonTon was at driving school, spared from the outage, not quite happy, but comfortable at least. He would be home in time for the power to come back on. Sommer was the only one unaffected by the lack of electricity. I suppose if we could find a way to harness all her energy we'd be able to run a light and some fans. She could be like the Wonder Twins, only singular, but just as powerful. "Shape of a light bulb! Form of a ceiling fan!" If only.

Peyton's first day of school was yesterday. She had to wait for me to get off work to go home, so by the time we got there she had to scramble to do her homework in order to beat the power outage. This used to be manageable in a "suck it up, that's life in the CNMI" sort of way, but this is no way to live anymore. I don't even remember there being as many candles in my grandmother's house when I was growing up and those were the good old days. Someone's supposed to be looking after our best interest, using the valuable tax payer dollars we contribute to ensure essential public services to our community, right? How long are they going to take, and how much longer can we just sit aside and trust them to do the right thing?

From Ed:
I am pleading with you to take a stand for a better CNMI and for a better future for each and every one of us.
Please join us at the Garapan Fishing Base on Wednesday, September 17, at 5:30PM, at the Garapan Fishing Base. What is so significant about September 17 is that it is "Citizenship Day" in the United States, formerly known as "I am an American" day. It is high time that we we call the attention of President Bush and our leaders in the U.S. Congress and that we demand an end to our deplorable living conditions! Will you join us?

For more please see his blog.


Not sure why I'm complaining today. Maybe it's because I can already feel the frustration coming on. In a few more hours I'll be home. For once, I'd like to enjoy it with my family and not have to worry about what the next hours will have (or won't have) in store for us.

No comments: