Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Pink Stilettos Come To Mind

Singing in the car "."..and he said someday I hope you get the chance to live like you were dy-y-ying. Got me thinking, what would I do if I found out I had years, months, weeks, days? 
  • I'd do stand up comedy and laugh at my own jokes
  • I'd walk the catwalk in stilettos 
  • I'd learn how to scuba dive and capture images of all the animals no one ever looks at
  • I'd paint pictures on the streets of Paris for free and give them out to total strangers
  • I'd home school all my kids while we traveled the world in search of folktales
  • I'd be a teacher again, and teach for free
  • I'd write and write and write and never stop until everyone I love has a book of their own
  • I'd make all of you video cards so I'd never have to miss a birthday, graduation, wedding, birth, flat tire or heartbreak.
  • I'd stop every morning to give thanks for another day, no matter how short 
  • I'd forgive.  And forget.  Forever.
I'd never make my bed, worry about those last ten pounds, complain about standing in line or care about singing off key ever again.  Most of all, I'd never forget to say I love you.  

Mom:  What would you do, Hope? 
Hope: I don't know, yours sound so much better.  Why can't you do those now that you're not dying?
Mom: Sometimes, I guess things have to happen to make you throw caution to the wind.  

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and I'm reminded not that I've been blessed to have been spared, but that I can't take anything for granted.  I remember the battles of those I loved who have lost their battle against cancer and those still fighting.  I pray that those of us who have survived or continue to get "good news" each time we seek a new exam will be given the opportunity to share our lives in meaningful ways.  

Breast Cancer Prevention: online at Feel Your Boobies and on island at Pinktober!

No comments: