Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Lemon SupHerb Chicken and Other Lessons

Ever want to eat roast chicken, but not the same old roast chicken? Ever scour through pages and pages of recipes, but not find the right one? This was me last night until I decided I was going to make whatever I deemed delicious and be happy with it. After all, this was dinner, not Iron Chef, Battle Chicken.

That's how my Lemon SupHerb Chicken was born!
 


I couldn't really tell you what the ingredients are merely because they came to me like a flash of culinary genius inspired by hunger pangs. Here's what I can tell you. In a small bowl, mix about three minced garlic cloves and about a teaspoon of finely minced ginger with 1/2 a tspn of rosemary, half a lime, a dash of sesame oil and 4 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil. Add a teaspoon of unroasted sesame seeds and rock salt and pepper to taste.
 

Paint your chicken massage oil all over half a chicken and stuff the bits and pieces of garlic and ginger under the skins. Bake for at 350 degrees for 15 minutes under a tin foil tent and then for 10 more minutes with the tent off.  You'll want to bake this on a roasting pan because it'll produce about a cup of juices which you could or couldn't make into a gravy.  I did, but the gravy went to waste because seriously, this chicken rocked.

 
Serve this with a baked potato coated with minced onion and olive oil and covered with foil.

I love that our children want to cook with us.  They learn a heck of a lot more than how to make food, although most of the lessons are simple ones like how to squeeze a lemon over your hand so seeds don't fall in. For me, it's a battle against instant gratification that I want them to win. It's easy to plop an instant meal on the table and call it dinner, but there's so much more satisfaction in taking time to create something healthy and delicious for the ones you love.  When the girls see their meals on the table, they beam with pride.

They've learned that some things take time.  A wholesome  meal, a relationship, a thriving career, a strong body and mind, a well lived life.
Article first published as Lemon SupHerb Chicken and Other Lessons on Blogcritics.

No comments: